In an emergency, call 999 or 112 from a landline or a mobile phone for the following services:

  • Fire

  • Police

  • Ambulance

  • Coastguard

  • Cave Rescue

  • Mountain Rescue

Never make a false call. You risk the lives of others who really need help. It is against the law and you can be traced immediately to the phone you are using.

When calling 999 (or 112) you need to tell the operator which service you require and they will connect you to the emergency service.

The police non-emergency number is 101. This is for all enquiries, non-urgent crime reporting and to peak to a local police officer.

If you need help assessing how urgently medical treatment is needed or you are unsure where to go, contact the NHS on 111.

If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

For any incidents relating to electricity or water, you need to contact your local electricity or water supplier.

National government

The official UK government website where you can find vast amounts of information, including education, employment, your rights, money, tax, and much more, is www.direct.gov.uk.

The Department for Work and Pension is at www.dwp.gov.uk.

The Department for Education is at www.dfes.gov.uk or you can call them at 0370 000 2288.

Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills. The office inspects and regulates care and education services within the UK. Ofsted is at www.ofsted.gov.uk or you can call them at 0300 123 1231.

The Health and Safety Executive provides information, guidance and expert advice on workplace health and safety and is at www.hse.gov.uk.

All taxation matters are handled byy HM Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk.

Health and social care

If you need help assessing how urgently medical treatment is needed or you are unsure where to go, contact NHS111 on 111 or at www.nhs.uk.

The Department of Health provides health and social care policy, guidance and publications, and are at www.dh.gov.uk or you can call them at 0300 060 3300.

The General Medical Council maintains standards the public has a right to expect of doctors and are at www.gmc-uk.org or you can call them at 0845 357 3456.


Age UK provides free information on issues affecting older people and are at www.ageuk.org.uk or you can call them at 0800 169 6565.

Alcoholics Anonymous are at www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk or you can call them at 0845 769 7555.

The Child Death Helpline supports anyone affected by the death of a child.  You can call them at 0800 282 986.

Childline is a confidential helpline for children and young people and are at www.childline.org.uk or you can call them at 0800 1111.

Consumer Direct offers practical advice to consumers in the UK and are at www.consumerdirect.gov.uk or you can call them at 08454 04 05 06.

Crimestoppers is a community service which helps prevent and solve crime across the UK and is at www.crimestoppers-uk.org or you can call them at 0800 555 111.

Frank is a information service about drugs and solvents and is at www.talktofrank.com or you can call them at 0800 77 66 00.

GamCare is a confidential service for anyone affected by gambling dependency and is at www.gamcare.org.uk or you can call them on 0845 6000 133 or 0808 8020 133.

The Lesbian and Gay Switchboard provides support and information for lesbian and gay men and is at switchboard.lgbt or you can call them at 0300 330 0630.

Missing People provides practical help and support for those whose relatives or family members are missing and you can call them at 0500 700 700.

National Debtline provide help for anyone in debt or concerned they may fall into debt and are at www.nationaldebtline.org or you can call them at 0808 88 4000.

The National Domestic Violence Helpline provides safe accommodation for women experiencing domestic violence and is at www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk or you can call them at 0808 2000 247.

Neighbourhood Watch helps local people work together to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour and are at www.ourwatch.org.uk or you can call them at 0116 229 3118.

NSPCC is a helpline that provides advice and support if you are worried about a child and is at www.nspcc.org.uk/helpline or you can call them at 0808 800 5000.

The Samaritans provide emotional support for anyone in a crisis and are at www.samaritans.org or you can call them at 08457 90 90 90.

Victim Supportline offers emotional support and practical advice for anyone affected by crime and are at www.victimsupport.com or you can call the at 0845 30 30 900.

Recycling and refuse disposal

To find out how to recycle your household rubbish and where your local facilities are, visit www.gov.uk/recycling-collections for England and Wales, and www.recycleforscotland.com for Scotland.

Transport and travel

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency maintains the register of vehicles and licences in the UK and is at www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency or you can call them at 0300 790 6802 (vehicles) and 0300 790 6801 (driving licences).

Transport for London (TfL) is at www.tfl.gov.uk or you can call them at 0343 222 1234.

National Rail for train times and fare information are at www.nationalrail.co.uk or you can call them at 08457 48 49 50.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice is at www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.

Trainline is Europe’s leading train and coach app. Trainline works with 207 rail and coach companies to offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 44 countries in Europe. Feel free to visit: www.thetrainline.com for more information.